I have a complete fear of falling. I use to say heights, but I can do roller coasters and love the view downward but I'm strapped in tightly ( I double double check) and can sue the company should something bad happen short of death.
We did a Zion National Park 4 days of the 6 day trip (I only did 3 days). The very first day there, we set up camp and straight away decided to do a shorter canyon repel. I think there were about 5 repels in this one. I opted for the wet suit and even though there wasn't as much water as other times that Jake and his buds had gone, I was glad for it. The thing had knee pads and I was covered ankles to wrists, so that protected me from major bruises and scraps. The knee pads were genius for this rookie. I actually did pretty good until the 2nd to last repel. The all hell broke loose.
The part we were repelling was in a V and we were going down the middle of it. My harness part around my legs started to slip and even though there was no way it would slip off my legs, it freaked me out. I felt like I was going to flip over backwards to my imminent death. Alright that's a little dramatic but that's what it felt like and I cried like a baby. Hyperventilated a bit too for good measure. Then we got to the last repel and I was messed up. And naturally it was supposed to be the scariest one--100 ft free "fall" which basically means you just lower yourself down without having your feet up against the rock for support. Honestly the only reason I did it is because there was no other way down. Go figure. Thank goodness we were with friends that had patience with me!
Despite my breakdown I did enjoy Zions. Breckan and I did a short hike on Saturday and then convinced a hotel just outside the park to let us crash their pool. The rocks and cliffs are amazing and camping in warm weather is fantastic! I didn't do any other repels but at least I did one. I'm good for the next 27 years.
1 comment:
I'm impressed. It's not an easy thing to do. And I'm not even scared of falling. What's the next fear to conquer?
Post a Comment