Saturday

I love it.

Tonight we went to Lori's house for game night with a bunch of people. It was fantastic! I wish I had my camera for William's drawing during Pictionary--he had Captain Kirk...and drew a funky fish. Mmm hmm. oh and also for the time Jake found Avi with the entire plate of brownies at her little table in the kids room---mouthful of brownies and hoarding the rest on the plate.

In other news, we've decided to not mess with the true spelling of the name Kohi. So instead of Kohe, like we had planned to hopefully curb the need to correct people about it's pronunciation...we are just going to stick to Kohi. Practically everyone I tell the name to guesses that it's spelled Kohi anyway. So that's promising.

I promise, this is the last time his name will be change. Promise! It's on his insurance form and I don't have white out!

Also, hurray! his birth mom thinks the name is awesome...phew. 7 more days. 7 more days.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Mahana, I hate to be the dark raincloud, but there's no K in Tahitian. Kohi can't be a real Tahitian word. Someone lied to you or something. But you don't have to change his name (but I thought it's better you know now, in case you want to!).

Mahana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mahana said...

Hey matt! Thanks for the comment on my blog... I said it was tahitian to save the full explanation, but in reality it's origins are from a nearly extinct sub dialect of Tahitian called paumatu. The original name is actually Kuhi, but my great aunt who was born and raised in Tahiti, took the main name and changed it to Kohi, which has similar meaning to the original in an old chinese dialect (my great uncle is chinese) and named my distant 2nd cousin Kohi. And that is who we got the name from. Current Tahitian might not have a K, but paumatu does. My guess is you didn't serve in the outer outer islands. But you are right that it's not technically tahitian in the "current tahitian abc" sort of way...I guess really more chinese than anything with a tahitian spin? Whatever. Most people guess it's hawaiian. Even my mom didn't know the meaning (and she was born and raised in Tahiti too but doesn't know the language paumato...that's for super old schoolers I guess).So now you have the whole story.

And yup, we'll keep his name Kohi. I ain't going to try and find a new name for him!

Matt said...

Look at you, doing your research!! OK, then I approve of the name. And I know Paumotu! They speak it in the Tuamotu islands. Kura ora is Hello, Maitaki roa is Very good...that's about all I know. You're right, I never served there, but I heard a little of it every now and then.

Congratulations on the new baby! How does Alex like him?

Anyways, have a great Christmas! See ya later!