I took Alex to the dentist today. Overall he did well. He let them check out his teeth at least. They didn't do a cleaning because whileinspecting his teeth they determined that he's got what they call "bottle rot"--basically tooth decay happening on about 15 of his teeth and that morphed into a discussion about what our options are and then he was so done with being at the dentist (and seeing me get more and more upset probably didn't help).
Without x-rays there is no way to fully know the extent of the decay but on the upside the dentist said he doesn't think any will need to be extracted. Of course Alex was not ready for x-rays and we have been referred to a pediatric dentist that also does sedation dentistry. Lovely. And we don't have dental insurance! argh! or qualify for any assistance programs. Double ARGH!
Alex will definitely need work done on his teeth--filling in the tooth decay etc etc depending on what the x-rays show to prevent further damage to current and future teeth. Since the chances of him needing to be sedated are likely he may have to have it done at an oral surgery place and they would try to do all his teeth at one time to save on the cost of sedation. oh joy. So that was my first experience taking my kid into the dentist.
On the upside, I was so upset over it that I think the dentist felt bad for me and told me that he wouldn't charge me for the visit. Ah,the tiny tiny silver lining.
Alex will definitely need work done on his teeth--filling in the tooth decay etc etc depending on what the x-rays show to prevent further damage to current and future teeth. Since the chances of him needing to be sedated are likely he may have to have it done at an oral surgery place and they would try to do all his teeth at one time to save on the cost of sedation. oh joy. So that was my first experience taking my kid into the dentist.
On the upside, I was so upset over it that I think the dentist felt bad for me and told me that he wouldn't charge me for the visit. Ah,the tiny tiny silver lining.
4 comments:
What a nightmare. That was nice of the dentist not to charge for the visit, but holy hell. Can I say that? I would imagine a lot worse would be going through my head if I were in your situation.
thats so awful. im taking gavin to the dentist on tuesday. yikes.
Ugh..I have yet to take Mapuana to the dentist. Her teeth are all jacked up and im sure she will prolly have the same problem. Not fun. I have been procrastinating for a while now...Not looking forward to that day.
So I'll just wait until after his teeth are fixed to send him M&Ms with his name on them.
Post a Comment