Sunday

Background check.

Literally this post is about the background in my last post on my pictures for Kelly.

{whoo-hoo kelly your own dedicated post!}

So that is a tanning bed, specifically a 1/2 tanning bed. I inherited that from Jane (jake's mom) when she moved to Hawaii. Growing up in California I never ever went tanning or even "laid out". What was the point? The coldest it got was 50 degrees, winter was Nov-Feb., and March-October you were outside in the lovely sunshine so you always had color. I mean putting on tanning lotion wasn't ever something I did.

Obviously in Alaska it's a whole other story. Hello it's April and we just got a foot of snow the other day. Wrong wrong wrong. So Jake's dad bought this for his mom so she'd have her own but also in the end, it's cheaper to buy one if you want to go tanning because tanning in Alaska is not cheap at all. Also have you ever heard of those "happy lights"? People who suffer from depression especially in places where winter is longer, sometimes have desktop ones. Right now the bulbs in the tanning bed are over 3 years old and have lost what is called their "tanning potency" and so really they just have become a giant "happy light" for me. I lay in there when the weather gets awful and for 20 glorious minutes feel warm through and through and bask in the light. Weird I know. But that's what you do to survive this place. Oh and travel a lot :)

So there. Now you know. And I think I need to find a new place to pose for pictures, but generally my room is usually the cleanest place in the house!

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

Yaaaay! A post for ME! LOL.
Hey, however you can get "sunlight" get it! I have bouts of seasonal depression out here when it's grey all the time in the winter, so I feel ya!