Monday

For the record

We had our first Family Home Evening tonight. Gasp. Wow. What?! yeah, I know...I'm watching for pigs in the sky too!

But in all seriousness, it was actually really really fun! We had Jake's sister and 3 kids over for dinner and a very short FHE. With 6 kids total, it has to be short. I started off asking them if they knew who Nephi was. My nephew Remmi was quick to tell us that Nephi had a lot of faith in God. Alex told me that Nephi killed bad guys (we had talked the night before about Nephi getting away from wicked people). I then brought up the story of Nephi being commanded by the Lord to go and get the Brass Plates, to which Alex then says, "yeah and the forks too". Silly boy!

I asked the kids what they thought Nephi said when the Lord asked him to go and get the plates. They all said that Nephi would say yes. Then I asked if he would do it right away or wait and they all correctly told me that he would do it right away. So we talked about how Nephi told the Lord "I will go, I will do" and I read the scripture. I then applied it to listening and how when they are asked to do something by their parents they need to 1) listen like Nephi did, 2) say "I will go, I will do" and 3) do it quickly! We then learned the "Quickly I'll Obey" song which they loved because when it got to the part about being quick, they all marched around the house saying "I will go, I will do!" Then we played Red Light, Green Light to practice our listening skills.

I think overall it was a success. At the end, I asked them to pick up toys and Alex and my nephew Remmington both said "yes I will do" right away. As Claire was leaving, I asked the boys again what they were to say when their mom asked them to do something and they both said "yes I will do". Alex also kept chanting "I will go, I do, I go, I will go, I do" the rest of the evening. When I told him it was time to pick up his room before bed he also he told me he "would go and do, just like Nephi right mom?". It was really sweet. So we'll see how long this lasts. I have a chart I printed out a long time ago and I'm figuring that each time I tell him to do something and he says "yes, I will do" and then actually goes and does it, he'll get a sticker. Then when he reaches the end (it only has something like 10 spaces) he'll get a treat/blessing.

So maybe FHE is here to stay....maybe.

No comments: