
Today in the NY Times was an article about carry on baggage and bin turf wars in airplanes...and I just laughed out loud because I have sensed it on my past couple of flights. People really really get pissed off. And there are some that will push and shove their suitcase for like 10 minutes, having their flying buddy help them pry open the bin just a little more to get the completely not carry-on size luggage in. I luck out because I'm in the category of getting to board early since I have Alex. I get first dibs on bin space and I'll admit it is fabulous to be envied by so many people (though I think their envy is a bit tempered when they remember that I'm traveling with a kid). I also get the perk of the normal carry on piece, plus personal item PLUS diaper bag. ha ha ha. eat that warring passengers. But honestly who wants to carry all that stuff on anyways? I usually just have the diaper bag and small purse all of which fits snugly at my feet.
It actually surprises me that airlines are just now thinking about cracking down, like it's going to be a hard thing. Half those people end up having to gate check their luggage anyways, and really what can they do when you point them to the "your luggage must fit in here" box. I mean Southwest cracks down on you if you dress like a hooker on their flight so why not on a person who obviously can't even make it down the aisle because they have too much luggage? I imagine it would be less confrontational than telling someone they dressed too whorish and aren't allowed to be on the flight--sure your luggage may or may not make it to the destination but you will. Besides, it's cramped enough in those planes, I don't need the bins popping open and other people's stuff spilling over into my precious foot space.
No comments:
Post a Comment